Carol Burns Smelley founded Youth Home in 1966 with $8,000 and a dream to help low income kids with mental illness who had been given up by their families. She placed kids and adolescents in family homes all across Little Rock where each patient received treatment and connection. The organization's revenue quickly grew to over $2 million as Smelley worked to teach our Little Rock neighbors about the ramifications of mental illness and the needs of these youth. In the eighties, Youth Home evolved into a behavioral health care facility, opening its first building on our Colonel Glenn campus to serve boys and girls ages 12-17 in need of more intensive treatment.
Youth Home's highly trained and compassionate treatment team are dedicated to helping each patient improve their quality of life and offer hope to families. Our continuum of care includes a qualified residential treatment program for foster kids in DCFS custody, and an intensive residential treatment program for in-state youth and military kids from across the nation. This program includes an award winning recreational therapy program and on-site, ADE approved Siebert School. Youth Home also has an outpatient clinic called Behavioral Health Services of Arkansas - serving families, parents, couples and individuals of all ages - as well as a school-based therapy program for the youth in our local school districts.
We enjoy a beautiful 52-acre campus, offering a wide range of therapeutic activities including art therapy, trauma yoga, equine (pet) therapy, gardening, social skills/etiquette training, and more. We're recognized nation-wide as being leaders in the treatment of Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD), and clinically offer treatment for youth including medication management, EMDR, Trauma Informed CBT, individual, family, and group therapies.
Youth Home, Inc. is accredited by The Joint Commission, the nation's oldest and largest accrediting body for healthcare providers - this organization truly addresses a need in the State of Arkansas for quality healthcare.
The mission of Youth Home, Inc. is to equip and empower youth, adults, and families to become healthier contributing members of the community by providing compassionate emotional and behavioral health care.
Youth Home, Inc.'s vision is to be recognized as a premier treatment and professional training center by offering an array of individualized and specialized treatment programs led by extraordinary staff. Clients come to us from families of every socio-economic level.
Referrals for most services come from individuals seeking behavioral health care, school districts, juvenile court, Division of Youth Services, Division of Children and Family Services, other mental health agencies and hospitals, parents, family members, and guardians.
YOUTH HOME VALUES:
- Compassion – Care and concern at the heart of all we do.
- Trust – Relationships mean everything.
- Dedication – Committed with our whole heart.
- Professionalism – Everything with excellence and integrity.
- Teamwork – One team, one heart, one mission.
Our dedicated and respected team of professionals includes:
- Board-Certified child/adolescent Psychiatrists
- Licensed Psychologist
- Licensed Clinical Therapists (Spanish speaking outpatient therapists available)
- Licensed Recreation Therapist
- Qualified Behavioral Health Providers
- Certified Special Education Teaching Staff
- Licensed Dietician
SERVICES AND PROGRAMS FOR YOUTH AGES 12-17 AND THEIR FAMILIES INCLUDE:
- Intensive Residential Treatment Program
- Qualified Residential Treatment Program (girls ages 12-17 and boys ages 10-17)
- Residential Inpatient Care for Military Dependents
- Outpatient Services (for all ages) through Behavioral Health Services of Arkansas
- School-Based Mental Health Services
WE PRIMARILY TREAT:
- Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD)
- Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD)